The game of roulette is divided into several rounds or, rather, spins. Each one begins with the players placing their bets on the table layout that proposes all types of fields and allows a wide variety of bets. If you think that the only roulette bet that can be made is on a particular number, you are wrong.
- Red or black – the most popular bet type. Essentially you predict whether the next number is going to be red or black.
- Odd or even: a bet very similar to the previous one, but this time you are trying to predict whether, on the next spin, the number will be odd or even.
- Dozen: Since there are three dozen numbers in roulette, you can also predict which dozen the number that comes out will belong to.
- Columns: There are also three columns of numbers in the layout, and you can predict where the number will be included.
- 1 to 18 or 19 to 36: Finally, you can try to predict whether the number will be between 1 and 18 or 19 and 36.
- Single (One Number) – Probably the most popular inside bet. Bet on a specific number or multiple numbers. While you have less chance of winning, the payout makes up for it.
- Double: Like the bet on a number, this bet is divided between two numbers predicting that one will come up.
- Street: a bet on three numbers in the horizontal that predicts that one of those three numbers will come up on the next spin.
- Double Street: essentially the same as the street, but you bet on two horizontal lines of three numbers simultaneously.
- Corner or Square – A bet on four numbers that creates the shape of a square.
- Three of a kind – A bet that includes zero, either 0.1, 2, or 0.2.3.
Now you know the bets that can be made playing roulette, and the last thing left to do is place them. When you’ve done that, the dealer will spin the wheel and determine the winning number and color and whether it is odd or even. Winning bets will be paid according to the table’s payout structure while instantly removing bets from the table layout. Let’s continue with the payout structure of the bets that we have mentioned. Of course, you will have to land a winning bet to qualify for one of these payouts.
Well, the number has come up, and you have won, this means that you will receive a payment. Knowing the odds of a potential payout for each type of bet will be helpful for obvious reasons. This is an overview that shows you exactly that:
- A number – 35 to 1
- Double – 17 to 1
- Street – 11 a 1
- Double Street – 5 to 1
- Corner or square – 8 to 1
- Threesome – 11 to 1
- Red / black, odd / even and 1 to 18 or 19 to 36 – even (1 to 1)
- Columns and dozens – 2 to 1
Roulette Game Types
While we’re not going to get into the 100+ variations of roulette that are offered online and in real casinos, you should be aware of three main types of games. There are two of them that differ quite a bit and one that is quite similar; we will explain them.
The foundations of the modern game and a game played in the United States for quite some time. It no longer boasts the same popularity but is still offered in many online casinos, and we explain why. The American variation has a double zero slot, which means there is an extra number in the game. This translates into an increase in the house edge of 5.4%.
The most popular variation is currently played in most online and real casinos. It has a wheel with a single zero and a table layout that significantly benefits the player compared to the American one. The house edge in this type of game is smaller, 2.5%.
It is very similar to the European version and only differs in a couple of rules that apply to bet. Players who choose to bet on these types of bets can keep their bet after losing on a spin thanks to the La Partage rule. It is a free spin. If you lose the second, it can no longer be recovered.