The game of roulette is divided into several rounds or, rather, spins. Each one begins with the players placing their bets on the table layout that proposes all types of fields and allows a wide variety of bets. If you think that the only roulette bet that can be made is on a particular number, you are wrong.
- Red or black – the most popular bet type. Essentially you predict whether the next number is going to be red or black.
- Odd or even: a bet very similar to the previous one, but this time you are trying to predict whether, on the next spin, the number will be odd or even.
- Dozen: Since there are three dozen numbers in roulette, you can also predict which dozen the number that comes out will belong to.
- Columns: There are also three columns of numbers in the layout, and you can predict where the number will be included.
- 1 to 18 or 19 to 36: Finally, you can try to predict whether the number will be between 1 and 18 or 19 and 36.
- Single (One Number) – Probably the most popular inside bet. Bet on a specific number or multiple numbers. While you have less chance of winning, the payout makes up for it.
- Double: Like the bet on a number, this bet is divided between two numbers predicting that one will come up.
- Street: a bet on three numbers in the horizontal that predicts that one of those three numbers will come up on the next spin.
- Double Street: essentially the same as the street, but you bet on two horizontal lines of three numbers simultaneously.
- Corner or Square – A bet on four numbers that creates the shape of a square.
- Three of a kind – A bet that includes zero, either 0.1, 2, or 0.2.3.
Now you know the bets that can be made playing roulette, and the last thing left to do is place them. When you’ve done that, the dealer will spin the wheel and determine the winning number and color and whether it is odd or even. Winning bets will be paid according to the table’s payout structure while instantly removing bets from the table layout. Let’s continue with the payout structure of the bets that we have mentioned. Of course, you will have to land a winning bet to qualify for one of these payouts.
Well, the number has come up, and you have won, this means that you will receive a payment. Knowing the odds of a potential payout for each type of bet will be helpful for obvious reasons. This is an overview that shows you exactly that:
- A number – 35 to 1
- Double – 17 to 1
- Street – 11 a 1
- Double Street – 5 to 1
- Corner or square – 8 to 1
- Threesome – 11 to 1
- Red / black, odd / even and 1 to 18 or 19 to 36 – even (1 to 1)
- Columns and dozens – 2 to 1
Roulette Game Types
While we’re not going to get into the 100+ variations of roulette that are offered online and in real casinos, you should be aware of three main types of games. There are two of them that differ quite a bit and one that is quite similar; we will explain them.
The foundations of the modern game and a game played in the United States for quite some time. It no longer boasts the same popularity but is still offered in many online casinos, and we explain why. The American variation has a double zero slot, which means there is an extra number in the game. This translates into an increase in the house edge of 5.4%.
The most popular variation is currently played in most online and real casinos. It has a wheel with a single zero and a table layout that significantly benefits the player compared to the American one. The house edge in this type of game is smaller, 2.5%.
It is very similar to the European version and only differs in a couple of rules that apply to bet. Players who choose to bet on these types of bets can keep their bet after losing on a spin thanks to the La Partage rule. It is a free spin. If you lose the second, it can no longer be recovered.
Roulette is played on a long table. At one end is the wheel, with a mark on the table for the dealer. The table is covered in plush with a number pattern for the numbers 1 to 26 arranged in three columns and 12 rows. At the end of the portion of the design closest to the dealer, above the numbers 1, 2 and 3, are the squares for 0 and 00. Each of the numbers from 1 to 36 is surrounded by a red or black rectangle or oval. The 0 and 00 have green backgrounds. This rectangular pattern with a square for each number is used for bets called “inside bets.”
Outside of the numbered boxes, there are other boxes for “outside bets” grouping up to 18 numbers at a time. Most of the outside betting areas are on the long side of the table in front of the dealer. However, at the end of the rectangle that is furthest from the dealer, are the squares for the bets on each column of 12 numbers.
Normal casino chips are generally not used at the roulette table. On the contrary, when the player places the money on the table, he asks for the chips and the dealer will give him some special roulette chips. Each player receives a set of different colored chips so that the dealer can know which chips belong to which player. Since the house does not want to get into a dispute over which tiles belonged to whom, couples and friends cannot share tiles. Even husbands and wives who play together have to play with separate colors. The dealer will also ask the player for the denomination to designate the chips. At a minimum $ 5 table, for example, the player can designate each chip to be $ 1 but has the option of marking them as $ 5, $ 10, or any other denomination. When the denomination is made, the dealer will place a chip on the rail near the wheel, then a marker on top to indicate the colored chip’s value for that session.
Since the next player to use the same color chips can designate a different value, the roulette chips only have value at the roulette table. They do not accept them at the ATM. When you are ready to leave the table, place all the remaining chips, and ask the dealer to exchange them for you. The dealer will give you the equivalent amount of normal casino chips.
Since roulette is at heart a game of luck and players have no way of controlling each spin’s outcome, you will have to go with the best available odds. That is why the roulette strategy focuses on betting. …